Well, driving in peak hour in a city with huge traffic snarls is bad enough but it didn't get better. I made it to the apartment on the late side and basically threw JQ out of the car, with just 2 overnight bags, to meet the apartment owner. OK that's good, made it in time. Oh Sh** I don't know where to drop the car off apart from it is at a railway station about 3 Km's away. No maps and no idea what direction, in crazy traffic. Eventually managed to find the railway station on the GPS whilst stopped at lights. Now I eventually got there but where the hell is Hertz? After circling the station I found Hertz which was just a shopfront. I could see all the other companies return parks but not Hertz. After circling a few more times I gave up and parked fully on the wide pavement in front of their office to find out that their return bays were 5 stories underground around the corner (not at the station). The sign outside had to have measured 5" square and I had passed it about 5 times. OK, checked the car in and, fingers crossed, got away with the small scrape under the front bumper (If you knew what condition cars are in over here and the size of the streets in the historical parts of cities, this was no mean feat). I was then left with a memory of the address of the apartment (sort of), 2 large cases, I large trundle bag, 2 large shopping bags, a backpack and a jacket, all 5 stories down in a car park. Luckily there was a lift and I still don't know how I managed alone, but once I hit the street with my load I was able to get a taxi to the apartment, which was JQ's choice, to find we are opposite the Gay Pride shop in the middle of the gay district ( I thought I saw the taxi driver winking at me?). It's very colourful. I think I am returning back to normal after a few beers.
No comments:
Post a Comment